ALAO February 2021 Board Meeting
The ALAO Board continues to work on projects in the following three areas: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI); support for Interest Groups; and COVID-19 support and relief.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI)
- Stay tuned for an Ohio academic library worker DEI survey that will be shared in the coming weeks. The survey results will help inform ALAO programming and support going forward. We encourage all ALAO members to complete it and share with their non-ALAO-member colleagues.
- ALAO will soon be offering a new professional development opportunity for members. We will be providing scholarships for ALAO members to attend We Here events, programs, and classes. Take a look at their offerings and think about what programs you might want to participate in!
- The ALAO Board has approved a new Code of Conduct for ALAO events and meetings, which can be found in several places on the ALAO website, including the top right menu. We have also recently approved two reporting forms: one for Code of Conduct violations, and one for general inclusivity suggestions from our members. Both forms will be available on the Code of Conduct webpage soon. In addition, we hope to have a slide about the Code of Conduct available for all Interest Group co-chairs to use at events.
- The Board has also approved changing the title of our webmasters to “web managers” to reduce gendered language in our organization.
Interest Groups Support
- The Interest Group (IG) Activities Task Force has completed their work and developed a list of potential activities for IGs to explore, as well as the resources needed to accomplish these activities. Since the pandemic, IGs have been flexible, creative, and active in their programming, even though it has necessarily moved online. Before proceeding with efforts in this strategic area, we plan to ask IGs what ALAO can do to support similar programming efforts even after the pandemic is over.
- Late in 2020, the COVID-19 Financial Assistance Task Force developed a new ALAO membership category with reduced cost for those impacted by COVID-19 financially (such as by being furloughed or laid off). We will continue offering this membership category at least until July 1st.
- Our survey of ALAO membership regarding COVID-19 practices has closed, and we will be releasing a report based on the results to all members soon.
- The ALAO Board is looking into methods of advocating for public-facing academic library workers to be moved earlier in the Ohio vaccine schedule. We will keep the membership informed as we proceed.
We also agreed to extend the deadline for ALAO 2021 Board Elections — thank you to everyone who decided to run!
I’m grateful for the great ideas and tremendous amount of work the ALAO Board members have contributed this year to our, as you can see, very many projects! If ALAO members have ideas or comments about any of these projects, please feel free share them with us.