Brian C. Gray, Case Western Reserve University, President
I hope everyone enjoyed the 2015 Annual Conference and/or the Preconference. I would like to thank our keynote speaker Cindy Foley and workshop presenter Trevor Dawes. Both sessions were well received. On behalf the conference planning committee, I would also like to thank all the presenters and attendees. Without your support and participation, this conference cannot happen. The vendors and sponsors give ALAO the fiscal abilities to continue to offer top notch programming. To my planning committee, I owe more thanks that can be imagined!
The 2015 Annual Conference included 29 breakout sessions, 21 posters, and 31 vendor exhibitors/sponsors. We had several colleagues from outside Ohio join us to present and/or attend, including people from California, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and others. In addition, 50 attendees participated in the preconference workshop on “Are You Ready For Leadership?” provided by Trevor Dawes.
Congratulations to the ALAO award winners presented at the conference:
- Student Presenter Grant – Kari Jones, Southern State Community College
- Support Staff Presenter Grant – Jennifer Rice, Kent State University
- ALAO Diversity Scholarship – Kristen Zajac, Kent State University
- DLIG Visionary Award – John Burke, Miami University Middletown and Beth Tumbleson, Miami University Middletown
- TEDDY Award – Karen Plummer, University of Akron
- ALAO Continuing Education Grant – Jen Waller, Miami University and John Napp, University of Toledo; Kelly Kobelia, Ohio Northern University — Honorable Mention
- ALAO Research Grant – Jane Wu, Otterbein University
- ALAO National Library Legislative Day Travel Award – Sylvia Halladay, Clark State Community College
- Jay Ladd Distinguished Service Award – Karen Plummer, University of Akron
The last few years, the ALAO Board has tried to bring more content to the users from conferences and workshops. When you log into the website, there is a members-only area. Currently, the 2013 conference presentations and the 2015 presentations/posters (in progress as submissions continue) are available. 2014 content is being reloaded.
In 2015/16, the ALAO Board will have several initiatives that are being work on. We will closely be reviewing the data of the membership survey to set directions and efforts for the future. Also, in 2016, we will be announcing a new professional development webinar series in partnership with our fiscal agent SWON Libraries. Watch for these details soon.