Bowling Green State University
- Libby Hertenstein began employment as full-time, tenure-track Cataloger and Metadata Librarian in May. Libby brings enthusiasm and a wealth of experience from her previous cataloger positions with The Ohio State University Libraries and the Lilly Library at Indiana University.
- Dave Widmer began his position as Web Applications Developer in June. Dave is a BGSU alum of the Visual Communications Technology Program, and has served as the lead developer for eLearning with oversight for his current employer’s web site. He brings talent and skills on the server and client side, as well as software and source control.
- Vera Lux and Rob Snyder have accepted tenure-track appointments as Reference and Instruction Librarians in the Library Teaching and Learning Department of the University Libraries. Vera Lux has served in the temporary position of Associate Librarian for Library Teaching and Learning since September 2010. Previously, Vera came to BGSU from the University of South Florida Tampa Library. Vera will begin her new appointment on July 1, 2011. Rob Snyder returns to the University Libraries after having served as Reference and Instruction Librarian at Heidelberg University Beeghly Library since June 2010. Rob will begin his new appointment on June 13, 2011.
- Sara Bushong has been named Bowling Green State University Libraries dean effective May 10, 2011. An associate professor, Bushong has been a member of the library faculty since 2000 and has served in a number of capacities, including interim and associate dean and chair of the Archival Collections and Branches. Bushong originally joined the faculty as Head Librarian of the Curriculum Resource Center. Before coming to BGSU, Bushong held posts as District Elementary Librarian and Technology Curriculum Coordinator for the Perrysburg Exempted Village Schools, and choral music teacher in Whigham, Ga. She earned a Bachelor of Music Education degree and Master of Education degree in Library and Educational Media from BGSU, and a Master of Library Science degree from Kent State University.
Case Western Reserve University
- Heather R. McGinnes CNM, CFRE, has been hired as Director of Library Development.
- Retiring from Miami Libraries in Spring 2011 are Janet Stuckey (Head of Special Collections), Ed Via (Interlibrary Loan), and Scott Van Dam (Access Services). Congratulations and all the best to Janet, Ed and Scott.
- Miami Libraries welcomed Kim Tully as Special Collections Librarian in November 2010.
Ohio State University, OARDC, Wooster
- At the recent annual meeting of the Agriculture Network Information Center (AgNIC) in Beltsville, MD, Connie Britton was awarded the 2011 Distinguished Service Award, which recognizes an individual who has provided outstanding leadership in facilitating cooperation among institutions and organizations anywhere in the world that are committed to the identification, delivery, or preservation of freely-available, evaluated, digital content and quality services for agriculture, food, and natural resources information.
Ohio State University, Marion/ Marion Technical College Library
- Director/Head Librarian Betsy Blankenship received the Kappan Citizen of the Year Award from the Marion Area Chapter of Phi Delta Kappa. She was recognized April 27 for her efforts toward meeting Phi Delta Kappa’s motto, “Committed to Service and Excellence in Education.” She also received a certificate of appreciation for hosting the exhibit Harry Potter’s World: Renaissance Science, Magic and Medicine from October 31 – December 11, 2010. She currently serves as Secretary of the Marion chapter.
Ohio University, Lancaster
- Ann M. Watson, currently Library Director at Ohio University Lancaster and past President of ALAO has accepted the position of Dean of the Library at Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, West Virginia as of June 30, 2011.
An additional congratulations to Ann, who has been elected to a two-year term as Member-at-Large in the ACRL College Libraries Section.
Ohio Wesleyan University
- Xudong Jin, Associate Director of Libraries, Head of Technical Services and Collection Development Coordinator at Ohio Wesleyan University Libraries, has been elected as an American Library Association Councilor. He is one of the thirty-four newly elected ALA Councilors-at-Large members for a three-year term, 2011-2014.
Southern State Community College
- Is your Library on Facebook? The Learning Resources Center (LRC) at Southern State Community College has an active Facebook site located at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Learning-Resources-Center-at-Southern-State/127603367275314.
Almost 300 people ‘Like’ the LRC site on Facebook. The site consists of a Wall, basic Information, Photos, Discussions, Links, Events and even Video. The LRC also contributes new items from in the catalog directly to the Facebook site. Circulation of new items increased once featured. Facebook posts are integrated with the LRC Twitter site as well. This is an excellent marketing and PR tool for libraries.
Youngstown State University
- Robert Ault, Microforms Librarian, has co-authored and produced a documentary titled Ash and Smoke: The Holocaust in Salonika which will be released in late Spring 2011.
- Maria Barefoot, Assistant Reference and Instruction Librarian for the Health Sciences has accepted to the University of Pittsburgh Certificate of Advanced Study in Health Librarianship Program with a full scholarship beginning May 2011.
- Shelly Xiaoli Zhu, Electronic Services Librarian, hosted a WordPress blog workshop with Dr. Sherry Linkon for YSU faculty and staff on February 18, 2011.